Saturday, April 19, 2008

Keith Perelli




Keith Perelli taught me to paint and broadened my concepts of painting.
His work following Katrina it really beautiful-
here is the link to the article and video on Nola.com
ARTICLE AND VIDEO

His work is at d.o.c.s., 709 Camp St.in New Orleans through May 4., (504-524-3936)

Prices: From $500 to $24,000.

Here is how he describes the exhibition:

"Upon my return to the Gulf Coast region after hurricane Katrina in 2005, I was in awe of nature’s transformative power. While I saw the storm as a scientific phenomenon, I could not help but question the events that had transpired through the filter of my religious upbringing. For me, the almost biblical tone of the storm and its aftermath revealed our greatest and darkest tendencies as humans. Through subject matter including boats, architecture, nature and the figure I produced works exploring themes of loss, change and healing. I attempted to pare down the subject in order to communicate on a visceral level. Human vulnerability is at the core of each piece.

I worked from observation and my imagination to compose works that were both familiar and surreal. I wanted to create work that was respectful of the individuals and communities that have lost so much. I carefully manipulated the subject matter to accentuate an intrinsic connection between humans, nature and spirituality. I attempted to compose quiet solemn paintings that might possibly communicate the physical and spiritual aspects of loss and recovery

In 2007, I began to explore the figure in profile. I shifted the focus from a physically recognizable world to one that was more abstract in substance and content. Here, the environments stabilize a figure that might otherwise seem somewhat lost in thought. Colors, brushstrokes and textures act as external forces surrounding the introspective figure. The collage process allowed me to shift and layer varied compositional elements. While, I have specific ideas about what each figure represents, I hope to invite the viewer’s own experience and thoughts in interpreting the work."

No comments: