Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Abstraction





I am definitely a realist. The challenge of accurate representation is one that I find satisfying and one that I personally use as a mode of expression. Abstraction, however, is a whole different ballpark- a ballpark that I rarely venture in. I guess that it also has something to do with the fact that there is very little abstract work that I actually like... or more accurately a lot that I greatly dislike. I think it can quickly becomes kitschy- too easy to reproduce- too formulaic. Its not that i don't respect it- abstraction is critical turn in art history, but it is something that i feel many artists abuse because it can be easy, and few do it truly well.
However, it is something that i would like to undertake. it is uncharted territory for me as an artist. I think one of the first steps is finding abstract work that I actually enjoy. Below are some examples:







No comments: